Duration: 2 Days 10.30am – 3.30pm
Award: Advanced Certificate
Location: 118A Kensington Church St
Learn the core skills required to edit news stories, features, blogs and more to professional journalistic standards.
The two day course will train you in the fundamental techniques of editing raw copy text, or even your own writing, into attention-grabbing and highly readable stories, as demanded by content publishers worldwide. It is aimed at a broad range of participants, from self-starter bloggers to experienced journalists who require formalised refresher training.
You will learn how to approach written copy critically and reshape it into compelling editorial content that people will want to read. Focusing on practical exercises and using real-world examples, the course also focuses on the different sub-editing approaches required for various types of material, and explains the distinctive subbing methods demanded by print and online media.
The course is suitable for anyone working in marketing, PR and communications and is involved in writing content.
On This Course You Will Learn:
- Enhance your professional writing communications
- Getting the style and tone right
- Writing styles to relay key messages to various audiences
- Understand audience expectations
- Tackling tricky grammar and punctuation, with easy to follow rules
- Getting your corporate message across
- Being able to apply the style and tone to a variety of contexts
- What is sub-editing?
- Editorial copy workflows
- Tips for checking your own writing
- Fundamentals of English grammar
Style and Consistency
- Tips on punctuation and spelling
- Aspects of writing style
- Using a style guide
News and Features
- How to write and edit news stories
- Sub-editing feature copy
- Writing good headlines, intros, captions and more
Media Law for Subs
- Defamation and libel
- Copyright and intellectual property
- Social media and reader engagement
Sub-editing for print
- Understanding how people read
- Fitting copy to a fixed space
- Fundamentals of typography
- Essential correction marks
The Advanced Certificate is approved and recognised by the: Continuing Professional Development (CPD): www.cpduk.co.uk
CPD-Approved LSPR Professional Development Advanced Certificate: Sub Editing. The Certificate is awarded with a Pass, Merit or Distinction.
The final Certificate award will be based on the following:
Critical Thinking Exercises set and completed during the training - a series of practical exercises are set for each session for the delegates to work on during their training. This is an effective way to try out what you have been learning and gain insight and feedback, as you progress with each session during the course.
To meet your team’s specific needs, this course is also offered as a bespoke exclusive programme. It is also offered on a one-to-one tailored basis. Delivery options are either in-house, or at the LSPR premises in Kensington. Please contact LSPR for a quote.
*One-to-one and small groups training sessions: duration may be subject to minor time alterations
Other Courses in Branding, PR & Communications
Terms & Conditions
— Annette Hoffman | Marketing & Business Development Manager | Sub Editing
I had a fabulous time and learned a lot at LSPR. My sessions were practical, and I would recommend this course to anybody.