Strategic International Relations (IR01)
Duration: 2 Days 10.30am – 3.30pm
Award: Advanced Certificate
Location: 118A Kensington Church St
The purpose of this course is to allow those relatively inexperienced in international relations and geopolitics to quickly understand the key concepts and issues affecting states in the 21st Century. The purpose is to provide candidates with an overview of the key issues, but not to go into any significant depth or historic context, but rather provide a concise and specific explanation of the challenges that face modern states and regions. Emphasis is placed on political geography and examining maps.
The course also provides an overview of the various academic perspectives, focusing on realism and liberalism and tackles modern challenges of nationalism and popularism. Security issues in the principal flash points of the world are explored – Middle East (post Syrian conflict), Yemen, North Korea, Eurasia and the South China Sea are all briefly examined. Energy security is touched upon and pipelines are discussed, include Russian supply to Europe and energy independence for the USA. Finally, the exciting regions of the Arctic and Antarctic and why they have become new geopolitical frontiers of competition in the 21st Century.
Resource-driven issues, such as water supply, and specific mineral access are explored. This is linked to the shift from oil/gas to battery and the need for more electrical grid supply for cars and the associated control of key battery elements.
- What is International Relations (IR)?
- Common misunderstandings about IR
- Why maps are still important!
- International Migration and Development
- What is International Political Economy?
- Issues in International Law
- International Political Economy
- Climate change and resource conflicts
- An examination of anti-US and UK positions globally
- Relationship between IR, geopolitics and political geography
- European integration
- European Geopolitics from the end of the second world war
- International Relations of the Modern Middle East
- Politics of peace, conflict and violence in Africa
- The Cold War
- China in the International System
- American Presidents and Foreign Policy
- Sovereign states
- China , Russia and a new world order
- China and the Belt and Road Initiative
- The rise of India as a global superpower and its rivalry with China
- Future and geopolitical boundaries of the Middle East
- Soft power and geopolitics
- Issues in globalisation
- Soft power and IR
- Security issues and shifting geopolitical power
- Understanding the IR issues in the Gulf region
- Energy security - shifting interest
- Iran and gulf regional stability
- Different themes and perspectives in IR
- China and the Belt & Road Initiative
- North Korea, Syria, Eurasia, South China Sea
- Artic and Antarctic – new challenges
- A debate on US Hegemonic stability
- Methodological debates
- New security challenges
- Resource-driven issues
- Water wars – could future conflict be focused on control of water supplies?
The Professional Development Diploma is approved and recognised by the: Continuing Professional Development (CPD): www.cpduk.co.uk
CPD-Approved LSPR Professional Development Diploma: PR & Reputation Management. The Diploma is awarded with a Pass, Merit or Distinction.
The final Diploma award will be based on the following:
- Critical Thinking Exercises set and completed during the training - a series of practical exercises are set for each session for the delegates to work on during their training. This is an effective way to try out what you have been learning and gain insight and feedback, as you progress with each session during the course.
What you need to bring with you:
Please bring with you your laptop or tablet to the training sessions.
To meet your team’s specific needs, this course is also offered as a bespoke exclusive programme. It is also offered on a one-to-one tailored basis. Delivery options are either in-house, or at the LSPR premises in Kensington. Please contact LSPR for a quote.
*One-to-one and small groups training sessions: duration may be subject to minor time alterations
Other Courses in Branding, PR & Communications
Terms & Conditions
Shitta Aderoga -TetFund/Senior Admin Officer
"I love the way the training was interactive, and the trainers make you feel you are part of the training. The trainers have good knowledge of what they teach."
Fatemah Nasser Al-Azemi | PR & Media Director, Public Authority for Applied Education and Training, State of Kuwait
I would like to thank you very much for helping me to improve my skills in the field of media and Public Relations.
Abdulaziz Al-Zaman - Head of Protocol/Qatar Airforce
"The course was excellent. I managed to take away some valuable information which I can implement in my future. The teacher was outstanding and delivered the info very well."
Noor Alzayer | Event management Supervisor, Saudi Telecom Company (STC) | Crisis Communications
Florine Van Everdingen - 3i/Executive Assistant
"Thank you very much for the warm welcome and two wonderful days. It has been incredibly useful to not only have a far better and thorough understanding of the subject, but also to leave inspired with the necessary tools to take action in practice."
Roberta Maria Mistretta - Whittard of Chelsea / Supervisor
"This course was extremely interesting and engaging. Lectures were enjoyable and well organised, and the material provided was very useful and informative. The course provided me with new and practical skills that will be surely help me in my career. Moreover, our knowledgeable and experienced tutor has been an amazing teacher and advisor. I would recommend LSPR to everyone."
Sakshi Kohli | India Today Group
LSPR provided a unique method of learning. Being able to break down real life scenarios and crisis and look at the crisis management cycles.
Mopelola Oyenekko - Salvic Petroleum Resources Limited/ Corporate Communications and Public Relations Manager
"The tutor had an excellent delivery and I gained a lot of knowledge in one week. I would highly recommend this course. Thank you to the staff for the warm hospitality."
Georgette Olaiya -Zeal/Digital PR Executive
"Great course, full of knowledge, and provides useful skills that can be used. The teacher ran bespoke sessions relating back to my current work place, we worked on a few future campaign releases which was very helpful."