Press Release Writing and Planning your Media Campaigns (WR01)
Duration: 1 Day 10.30am – 3.30pm
Location: 118a Kensington Church St. London W8 4BH
Duration: 1 Day 10.30am – 3.30pm
Learn how to confidently engage with the media, write press releases that stand out and plan out your media campaign.
The Press Release Writing and Planning your Media Campaign course will teach you how to look at the various types of media, build your media contacts and how to make your story newsworthy.
Learn how to find the true value of the journalist, understand how the human-interest angle helps grab attention and grasp the structure of a press release.
The course covers writing for different audiences, on various platforms and how to gain engagement. Our leading professional PR experts will help you develop your ability to keep to a factual tone, how to keep content short and concise.
During the course, there will be a focus on the practicalities of sending the press release, as well as the use of images and whether to provide mages or photographs to accompany your release.
On This Course You will learn:
- Understanding the media and building contact lists
- Creating excellent contacts within the media
- Learning the fundamentals of press release writing
- Getting the heading right
- Writing effective press releases that capture your audience
- Structuring and balancing information within a press release
- Getting the structure, grammar, style and tone right
- Looking at successful and unsuccessful press releases
- Distributing your press release and media agencies
- How to develop a successful media strategy
- How to make social media work for your media campaigns
- How to frame your branding messages within your media communications
- The different types of media - traditional and digital
- Creating your media contact list and building your relationship with journalists
- What makes a good story?
- Writing persuasive and compelling press releases
- Understanding writing style for various publications and audiences
- Using appropriate factual tone and balance specific to press releases
- The building blocks, content and structure: credible headline, lead paragraph, follow-on paragraphs, conclusive paragraph, quotes, notes to editors
- Brushing up on your grammar and writing style
- How to make your press release stand out from the crowd
- Why material gets rejected and getting the timing right
- The effective use of images and photographs
- Looking at examples of press releases – the good and the bad
- Delivery methods to the press – distribution channels and how and which media agencies
- Make your material more attractive and grab attention
- Developing media strategies that produce results
- Techniques of brand reach using digital and social media for your media campaigns
- Framing and re-framing messages to position your brand effectively
The Certificate is approved and recognised by the: Continuing Professional Development (CPD): www.cpduk.co.uk
CPD-Approved LSPR Professional Development Certificate: Press Release Writing. The Certificate is awarded with a Pass, Merit or Distinction.
The final Certificate award will be based on the following:
Critical Thinking Exercises set and completed during the training - a series of practical exercises are set for each session for the delegates to work on during their training. This is an effective way to try out what you have been learning and gain insight and feedback, as you progress with each session during the course.
To meet your team’s specific needs, this course is also offered as a bespoke exclusive programme. It is also offered on a one-to-one tailored basis. Delivery options are either in-house or at the LSPR premises in Kensington. Please contact LSPR for a quote.
*One-to-one and small groups training sessions: duration may be subject to minor time alterations
Other Courses in Branding, PR & Communications
Terms & Conditions
— Tara Dennemy | BNY Mellon, Communications Executive |Press Release Writing
This course has boosted my confidence and understanding of press release. I would highly recommend this course.
Olivia Cowley | Press Office, Brexit Party | Press Release Writing
The training was an engaging and fast teacher.
— Tanya Verbeek | Hush, PR manager |Press Release Writing
The trainer was insightful, kept it interesting and made the sessions very engaging. I would recommend this course.
— Jessica Jolee | M&S Press Officer | Press Release Writing and Planning Your Media Campaigns
The exercises and instant feedback from Jonathan, having to think on my feet and do something quite quickly really made me think back to what Jonathan has just gone through and pull as much as I could from it to complete the tasks.
— Alexis Darby | Marketing and Communications Manager, Construction Youth Trust |Press Release Writing
I was was blown away by how much I learnt in such a short space of time. The course was highly engaging, well-paced and relaxed with the topics kept relevant to us at all times. I can leave the course with renewed confidence in my writing skills, and with lots more tips and advice under my belt too. It was highly enjoyable experience; I could not recommend it highly enough.
- Temitope Kalejaiye | Communications Officer | Commonwealth
The tutor was very professional and open to questions. She was also conscious of all the different backgrounds of students.
— Chanal Celine | Press Release Writing
After this training, I feel confident with my writing skills, which will most certainly be helpful as many companies ask candidates to write press releases as a part of the selection process. The staff at LSPR were lovely and welcoming, the trainer both interesting and challenging. I would definitely recommend this course!
- Clare Durham | Head of PR | Woodley & Wallis
Debbie was very personable and clearly knowledgeable, but I felt that the content wasn’t hers. It didn’t deliver what the course promised & lacked focus. The morning was rushed, partly because the majority of delegates were late. Lunch should be provided. Only about a quarter of the content was relevant to the topic.
— Carla Fletcher | Account Manager, Rainbowwave | Press Release Writing
I had an insightful day and interesting day. The course was fantastic, my tutor was very encouraging and patient. I would highly recommend this course to my peers.
— Annette Taylor-Anderson | Art & Design Assistant, RCNi as well as owner of ATADesigns | Press Release Writing
I thoroughly enjoyed the course, the tutor was very informative and I have learnt so much, thank you.
— Georgette Olaiya | Zeal, Digital PR Executive |Press Release Writing
Great course, full of knowledge, an provides useful skills that can be used. The teacher ran bespoke sessions relating back to my current workplace, we worked on a few future campaign releases which were very helpful.
- Olivia Cowley | Press Officer | Brexit Party
Debbie was an engaging and fabulous teacher. I would be very happy to attend another one of her classes.
— Chloe Gipson | Senior Account Executive, Splendid Communications | Essentials of Press Release Writing
A brilliant session for those wanting to get to grip with press release writing - from how to structure your release to capturing the journalists interest.
— Raisa Amros | Freelance Journalist | Press Release Writing
This course will allow me to write a successful press release and know exactly who is my reader and what he expects from me
— Abigail Kutwia | Zeal, Digital PR Executive |Press Release Writing
Very Informative and structured sessions. I really appreciated going through my previous press release work and nit picking at it. I recommend that you bring in previous work as the tutor will happily go through it.
— Laura Scigliano | LCFC, Media Relations Executive |Press Release Writing
This session was very informative, and the content was very well explained. The tutor was very clear and made the session very interesting. I now feel more confident with my press release writing.