Press Release Writing and Planning your Media Campaigns (WR02)
Duration: 1 Day 10.30am – 3.30pm
Location: 118a Kensington Church St. London W8 4BH
The practical one-day Press Release Writing and Planning your Media Campaign certificated course is designed to train you on how to confidently engage with the media, write press releases that stand out and plan out your media campaign. During the course, we will look at the various types of media, building your media contacts and how to make your story newsworthy. Before you write and issue a media or press release, we will explore the content of the “story” to find the true value for the journalist. If the journalist does not consider it newsworthy and engaging, it will not get coverage. We will look at the human-interest angle that helps grab attention and interest. Once the value of the story has been established, we will look at the structure of a press release by asking some questions related to: who, what why, when and how?
You will be trained on how to put them in order within short, factual paragraphs. The order of importance of content within paragraphs will be gone through. We will look at writing for various audiences, on various platforms and how to gain engagement. This will involve practicing out various styles and adaptation of the content, yet sticking to factual content.
Our leading PR experts, will train you on how to keep to a factual tone, how to keep content short and concise. You will also be taught about the importance of the heading for your media release. How to get the timing right, how to label your release for immediate or dated release. How to interview for quotes and how to end the release. We will look at what other information for editors and journalist you need to add at the end of the press release. The practicalities of sending the press release will be covered during the course, as well as the use of images and whether to provide mages or photographs to accompany your release. We will also explore how the media release works alongside our other media campaign and activities.
On This Course You will learn:
- Understanding the media and building contact lists
- Creating excellent contacts within the media
- Learning the fundamentals of press release writing
- Getting the heading right
- Writing effective press releases that capture your audience
- Structuring and balancing information within a press release
- Getting the structure, grammar, style and tone right
- Looking at successful and unsuccessful press releases
- Distributing your press release and media agencies
- How to develop a successful media strategy
- How to make social media work for your media campaigns
- How to frame your branding messages within your media communications
- The different types of media - traditional and digital
- Creating your media contact list and building your relationship with journalists
- What makes a good story?
- Writing persuasive and compelling press releases
- Understanding writing style for various publications and audiences
- Using appropriate factual tone and balance specific to press releases
- The building blocks, content and structure: credible headline, lead paragraph, follow-on paragraphs, conclusive paragraph, quotes, notes to editors
- Brushing up on your grammar and writing style
- How to make your press release stand out from the crowd
- Why material gets rejected and getting the timing right
- The effective use of images and photographs
- Looking at examples of press releases – the good and the bad
- Delivery methods to the press – distribution channels and how and which media agencies
- Make your material more attractive and grab attention
- Developing media strategies that produce results
- Techniques of brand reach using digital and social media for your media campaigns
- Framing and re-framing messages to position your brand effectively
The Certificate is approved and recognised by the: Continuing Professional Development (CPD): www.cpduk.co.uk
CPD-Approved LSPR Professional Development Certificate: Press Release Writing. The Certificate is awarded with a Pass, Merit or Distinction.
The final Certificate award will be based on the following:
Critical Thinking Exercises set and completed during the training - a series of practical exercises are set for each session for the delegates to work on during their training. This is an effective way to try out what you have been learning and gain insight and feedback, as you progress with each session during the course.
To meet your team’s specific needs, this course is also offered as a bespoke exclusive programme. It is also offered on a one-to-one tailored basis. Delivery options are either in-house or at the LSPR premises in Kensington. Please contact LSPR for a quote.
*One-to-one and small groups training sessions: duration may be subject to minor time alterations
Other Courses in Branding, PR & Communications
Terms & Conditions
— Abigail Kutwia | Zeal, Digital PR Executive |Press Release Writing
Very Informative and structured sessions. I really appreciated going through my previous press release work and nit picking at it. I recommend that you bring in previous work as the tutor will happily go through it.
— Raisa Amros | Freelance Journalist | Press Release Writing
This course will allow me to write a successful press release and know exactly who is my reader and what he expects from me
— Tara Dennemy | BNY Mellon, Communications Executive |Press Release Writing
This course has boosted my confidence and understanding of press release. I would highly recommend this course.
— Georgette Olaiya | Zeal, Digital PR Executive |Press Release Writing
Great course, full of knowledge, an provides useful skills that can be used. The teacher ran bespoke sessions relating back to my current workplace, we worked on a few future campaign releases which were very helpful.
— Tanya Verbeek | Hush, PR manager |Press Release Writing
The trainer was insightful, kept it interesting and made the sessions very engaging. I would recommend this course.
— Chanal Celine | Press Release Writing
After this training, I feel confident with my writing skills, which will most certainly be helpful as many companies ask candidates to write press releases as a part of the selection process. The staff at LSPR were lovely and welcoming, the trainer both interesting and challenging. I would definitely recommend this course!
— Carla Fletcher | Account Manager, Rainbowwave | Press Release Writing
I had an insightful day and interesting day. The course was fantastic, my tutor was very encouraging and patient. I would highly recommend this course to my peers.
— Laura Scigliano | LCFC, Media Relations Executive |Press Release Writing
This session was very informative, and the content was very well explained. The tutor was very clear and made the session very interesting. I now feel more confident with my press release writing.
— Alexis Darby | Marketing and Communications Manager, Construction Youth Trust |Press Release Writing
I was was blown away by how much I learnt in such a short space of time. The course was highly engaging, well-paced and relaxed with the topics kept relevant to us at all times. I can leave the course with renewed confidence in my writing skills, and with lots more tips and advice under my belt too. It was highly enjoyable experience; I could not recommend it highly enough.
— Annette Taylor-Anderson | Art & Design Assistant, RCNi as well as owner of ATADesigns | Press Release Writing
I thoroughly enjoyed the course, the tutor was very informative and I have learnt so much, thank you.