Picture Research (ED02)
All LSPR professional development courses are offered remotely at this time.
Duration: 1 Day 10.30am – 3.00pm GMT
Award: Advanced Certificate
Duration: 2 Day 10.30am – 3.30pm
Award: Advanced Certificate
Location: 118A Kensington Church St
The LSPR Picture Research course is recognised as being the UK's leading training course in this subject. The course is suitable for those interested in pursuing a career in picture research and picture editing, those in the early stages of their career or those who require refresher training to keep up-to-date with any changes affecting the industry. The course is highly enjoyable and stimulating, with an emphasis on the practical issues relevant to the industry. The course keeps abreast of new developments, with special attention paid to the impact of digital technology and the role of the Internet. Member of the British Association of Picture Libraries and Agencies [BAPLA].
*Note: Students must bring in a personal computer or tablet device to complete this course
Course and industry overview
- Introduction to the Picture Research industry and career progression
- Working in Picture Research
- Print: magazines, newspapers, books,
- Digital: websites, apps, social media, video etc.
Responding to Briefs and Reading Pictures
- Different types of briefs and how to interpret them
Image sourcing 1
- Picture libraries, museums, galleries and archives
- Picture research online – new developments
- Resolution and watermarks transmission methods
Image Sources 2: Photographers and Illustrators
- Viewing portfolios and commissioning
- Managing photo shoots
- Legal: photographers’ rights, model release, contracts
Picture Editing and Selection
- The language of pictures
- Picture editing and selection
Project management 1: Deadlines and Budgets
- Budgeting a project and negotiating fees
- Managing the workload
Project Management 2: Captions and Credits
- Identifying and acknowledging images
- Legal: Royalty Free, Rights Managed, DACS, Copyright and Artists’ Estates
- Rights clearance
- Maintaining records and databases
Non Print Picture Research
- Imagery for web sites and apps
- The future of Picture Research
- Career progression
- The evolving role of the picture researcher / editor
- The Future of picture research
The Advanced Certificate is approved and recognised by the: Continuing Professional Development (CPD): www.cpduk.co.uk
CPD-Approved LSPR Professional Development Advanced Certificate: Sub Editing. The Certificate is awarded with a Pass, Merit or Distinction.
The final Certificate award will be based on the following:
Critical Thinking Exercises set and completed during the training - a series of practical exercises are set for each session for the delegates to work on during their training. This is an effective way to try out what you have been learning and gain insight and feedback, as you progress with each session during the course.
To meet your team’s specific needs, this course is also offered as a bespoke exclusive programme. It is also offered on a one-to-one tailored basis. Delivery options are either in-house, or at the LSPR premises in Kensington. Please contact LSPR for a quote.
*One-to-one and small groups training sessions: duration may be subject to minor time alterations