Leadership and Presenting Skills (PR08)
Duration: 2 Day 10.30am – 3.30pm
Award: Advanced Certificate
Location: 118A Kensington Church St
This professional development training programme is designed for senior managers and those in leadership or executive roles, who need to present ideas to a variety of stakeholders and audiences. The course fuses leadership skill development with presentation skills, in recognition of the highly interdependent nature of these competencies.
The focus is on explaining what elements and conditions are required to deliver a highimpact presentation. We will explore what strengths and weaknesses individual presenters need to achieve this. There is an emphasis on evidence-based scientific approaches, and insights from evolutionary psychology. This will enable participants to get an understanding of why so many people fail to captivate their audience through poor delivery and body language. These signal lack of confidence, credibility and failure to connect with an audience.
The course is based on a central theme - excellent content in its own right will not win the day unless it is equally well delivered and structured. Presenting well is a leadership skill that all senior executives must become comfortable with and be good at.
During the training, participants are asked to present for 15 minutes, with the trainer acting as a “critical friend” on areas that need improvement or modifying. There will be an opportunity to pay out on feedback. The course is dynamic and practical. It challenges participants to re-think their approaches to persuasion and influencing others, especially when conveying technical or complex material. The nature of leadership and executive presence is central to the course, in terms of perception and impression management. You will be trained in how to signal strong credibility and executive presence.
At LSPR we have trained leadership and presentation skills to numerous executives, diplomats, senior managers, heads from NGOs, and inter-governmental organisations. We have over 27 years’ experience of training in presentation and leadership skills.
On this course you will learn
- Impression and influence management
- Creating a positive impression,
- Converting influence skills into valuable personal brand equity
- Engaging successfully with anyone and giving a positive impression,
- Critical insights from science about influence management
- How to relax all around you and generate charisma and confidence
- Effective body language and confidence techniques
- Developing your personal brand and style
- How to stand out from all those around you and leave a lasting, credible impression
- Managing your body language
- Developing your individual style and charisma, to build influence and rapport with audiences
- Using your voice effectively
- Building your confidence and expanding your communication skills
- Creating structure and timing
- How to deliver a presentation that leaves lasting positive impressions
- Handling the Q & A sessions
Day One - Influence and Persuasion
Introduction to Presentation Skills
- The purpose of any presentation
- Why do so many presentations fail to connect and succeed?
- The different types of presentation
- The importance of practice and refinement
- Messages and the big idea
- The plan and structure of an effective presentation
- Attention and hooks
Understanding your audience
- The art of explanation invitation to care; build
- Frames, themes and narrative development
- Tips for dealing in resistance
- Factoring in difficult questions - handling them with grace
Day Two - Advanced Presenting Skills
Leadership influence, persuasion and executive presence
- Executive presence and leadership skills
- The essence of leadership and its role in communication
- The iportance of self-awareness
- The Dunning-Kruger Effect
- Making a connection and delivering a rapport
- Speaking and delivery: techniques and rhetoric devices/eloquence
- Techniques: pace/use of emotion
- Body Language
- Handling difficult situations and questions
- Dangers of being over confident
- What should be on a slide?
- Why less is really more
- Data issues
- Take outs
Ted Talks and great speeches
- What makes a good Ted Talk?
- Examples of good Ted Talks and why they were succesful
- How to start a speech
- What are the typical elements of a good speech
- Rhetoric devices that can be applied
The Professional Development Diploma is approved and recognised by the: Continuing Professional Development (CPD): www.cpduk.co.uk
CPD-Approved LSPR Professional Development Diploma: PR & Reputation Management. The Diploma is awarded with a Pass, Merit or Distinction.
The final Diploma award will be based on the following:
- Critical Thinking Exercises set and completed during the training - a series of practical exercises are set for each session for the delegates to work on during their training. This is an effective way to try out what you have been learning and gain insight and feedback, as you progress with each session during the course.
What you need to bring with you:
Please bring with you your laptop or tablet to the training sessions.
To meet your team’s specific needs, this course is also offered as a bespoke exclusive programme. It is also offered on a one-to-one tailored basis. Delivery options are either in-house, or at the LSPR premises in Kensington. Please contact LSPR for a quote.
*One-to-one and small groups training sessions: duration may be subject to minor time alterations